Cosmic Voice of Tamara Gverdtsiteli
People's Artist of Russia performed at the women’s forum in Kuzbass
I certainly experienced a similar feeling before but couldn’t remember when and where. Then I realised that performance of Tamara Gverdtsiteli was like the launch of a space rocket from the Baikonur cosmodrome. You feel the vibrations of the air around and even inside you. You are filled with delight and it seems that your spirit will fly upward…
We enjoyed the extraordinary voice of Tamara Gverdtsiteli that brought us to somewhere far in time and space and evoked recollections of the brightest events in life. Her strong and at the same time tender contralto threw us into ecstasy like wonderful Georgian wine. It strongly impressed making us dance and cry.
Organisers of women’s forum in Novokuznetsk made a really amazing present to the participants by inviting Ms. Gverdtsiteli to Kuzbass. The People’s Artist of Russia accompanied by children’s choir sang the anthem of the international women’s movement at the opening ceremony. This anthem was first voices at the Second Eurasian Women’s Forum in Saint Petersburg in 2018. This song provided the proper mood and motivated the participants to work. In addition, an amazing concert awaited us in the evening. Even international participants who didn’t understand the words listened to the songs attentively. We, women from different regions of Russia and countries, united by our common goals, ideas, and projects, felt the unity of not only minds but hearts as well. After the concert, Marina Volynkina, Head of the Eurasian Women’s Community news agency, managed to get a small interview with Tamara Gverdtsiteli.
– You perform songs with such a deep sense that they touch the souls of the listeners. They are like from on high. It provides an impression that you are like an antenna able to pick up and transmit unearthly signals. How do you do it?
– Music can have a tremendous impact, that’s true. It is impossible to be described with words. I am extremely happy that I manage to touch the hearts of people and cause the resonance in them. I thank my audience for understanding and perceiving music in such a way because it is the most important thing. People do not need music that is not understandable and doesn’t make people happier and better. One should serve these aspects of music because they are gift from above.
– I will never forget one of your first songs, which you performed in 1988. In Memory of Edith Piaf is a song about the great French singer. 30 years has passed since that. That song strongly impressed me. I decided that you are our Edith Piaf. I got acquainted with your biography. I remember that you studied classical music from your childhood. You played the piano and were the lead singer of the children’s ensemble ‘Mziuri’ but still focused on musical instruments. At what moment did you decide to devote yourself to popular music? What inspired you to do that?
– First, I won in contests (Editor's note: Red Carnation and Golden Orpheus international contests). At that time, Russian popular singers such as Aleksandra Pakhmutova, Nikolay Dobronravov, and Joseph Kobzon told that I should continue my way of singer. I couldn’t ignore the opinion of such respected people. My success motivated me as well. Audience warmly accepted me. It was a paradox because not I burst on the stage but my audience brought me there. However, entering the stage and remaining on stage are different things. In the 1990s, we all understood that something huge was being destroyed. Many had to abandon their professions. I also thought about that but I understood that the stage wouldn’t forgive me. Those were the most difficult years but I managed to remain in the profession and live music.
– What music do you like to listen to?
– Of course, classical music. I like ethnical music. First and foremost, one should listen to good music.
– Music serves not only as the way of entertainment and relaxation. I think that it helps us break free of the crazy flow of information and everyday fuss. It helps us stop, think about our life, and experience bright feelings.
– Yes, the power of music influence is great. We are conductors of this power. One wise man said that music is the only thing that can make us happy or bring sadness and sorrow for no reason. Nothing but music can reflect the time so quickly and accurately.
Tatyana Vorozhtsova, Marina Volynkina, news agency of the Eurasian Women’s Community
Translated by Nikolay Gavrilov