SCIENCE AND CULTURE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOGETHER
Olga Sviblova is a Russian fine art expert, film maker, director of the Multimedia Art Museum, and Honorable Academician of the Russian Academy of Arts.
On April 13, the Federation Council hosted a meeting of Valentina Matvienko, its Chairperson, with women-representatives of science. The topic was ‘Open Dialogue With Women Scientists’.
A journalist of the Eurasian Women’s Community interviewed Olga Sviblova and found out what were the similar features of scientists and people of arts and why scientific theory was beautiful.
– Olga, you have a psychological education, but you have been engaged in culture and art for a long time. What motivated your participation in this meeting?
– When we speak about a museum, we always mean a scientific and artistic centre, an educational one. I don’t see that much difference between cultural and scientific problems. We face the same problems, such as lack of equipment and bureaucratization. Because of them we focus our attention on piles of reports and don’t see real things and their sense. This round table was a very useful event. All scientists here are individuals with their own viewpoints. They expressed their thoughts and discussed actual problems they address every day.
– Why are people of science so successful in art?
– The thing is that the mechanisms of creative activity are the same in artists and scientists. There are creative people and not creative ones. If you are a bad cook, nobody will eat your dish. One can sit and suffer that he or she doesn’t have the ingredients mentioned in a cookbook, or one can create his or her own recipe. A clever person is always able to cook a dish using ingredients he or she has. In my opinion, life is creativity. And the result is creativity as well.
– You said that one should make websites of museums friendly. Why so?
– You will have guests neither in your house, nor at the museum, if you are unfriendly. Sociable, humane, and smiling persons attract other people. If you are of a different kind, they will shortly leave and forget you. A guest is extremely important. He or she must feel being awaited. All the time you run and do what needs doing. However, culture is the very place where you stop and feel something completely new. The museum must have atmosphere which lets its visitors stop. How else can we call this if not friendly?
All fields of human life must have their own languages. For example, army has a language, universities have other, museums have still other.
– How should culture and science interact?
– The 1960s were called the period of physicists and lyricists. Physicists, people of science, were the core audience of poets, singers, and actors of that time. Art doesn't exist without an audience. So, that audience consisted primarily of scientific and technical intelligence. My father was an engineer. He constructed some vanes for Sergei Korolev’s rockets. My father could point a finger at the sky and say how beautiful the trail from a jet was. Teachers of physics asked us to imagine the beauty of infinitely small and infinitely large numbers. Scientific theory is none the less beautiful than a play or a picture. Science and culture have always been together. When they part, it means that something goes wrong.
Agata Korovina, news agency of the Eurasian Women’s Community
Translated by Nikolay Gavrilov